Hi and welcome to the merry merry month of May. Its definitely spring here, there, and everywhere in the northern Hemisphere. So, IMHO its time to celebrate surviving another long cold winter.
At our house, when we celebrate there is always a big beautiful cake involved. Sadly, my favourite cakes are chock-a-block full of carbs, sugar and other things which are not great for my waistline. So, whatdaya say we make fabric cakes instead.
Before we get to the recipe lets talk about general tools and ingredients.
- Make your Cake dimensions as per the pattern on line
- Choose any shade of grey, preferably a tone on tone, or small-scale print for the block backgrounds
- Cake stands can be any shade of teal or turquoise, solids or prints are fine
- Cake stand design – choose the one that suits your cake block parameters or modify one that you like – or design one of your own as long as it fits within the parameters of the block
- You choose the kind of cake that teases your tastebuds. There are lots of choices provided. Give it a name if possible – Turtle cheesecake, Black Forest cake, etc. (Irene, I’m really anticipating something awesome from your fabric pantry)
The pattern we are using is called “Sweet Cakes”. Its a a free downloadable pattern by Patty Sloniger for Michael Miller Fabrics. I cannot give you the link to the pattern as it is encrypted, but I am happy to give you instructions on how to go there yourself to download a copy of the pattern for your own use.
Go to michaelmillerfabrics.com by clicking here
- Click on “Get Inspired”
- Choose “Free Downloads”
- Scroll through until you come to the Sweet Cakes Pattern. (Pattern cover has a navy blue background and 9 yummy looking cakes)
- Click on “Download pattern”
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “download instructions”
- Save the download to your computer or print it out. (I printed mine out so I wouldn’t always be having to go back to computer).
- Choose which cake you want to make and which cake-stand you want to put it on
- Bake it
Here is one I made just before Christmas.
And, here is another one.
Let me know if you have any problems getting this pattern to download. Also let me know if you do not have the technology on your computer to download the pattern. You may also be able to find a link to the pattern on Pinterest.
Thanks so much for baking me a cake. I’m looking forward to taking a delicious bite from each and every one.